Monday, February 25, 2013

That Feeling.

That feeling is back.  The feeling that has me thinking "What else is out there?" "What was I put on this Earth to do?" "It's got to be more than this."  I get that feeling often - the yearning for more...the ability to do more....the want to do more for the greater good.  Last night I was on pinterest and came across the "Blessing Bag" concept.  It's a ziploc bag full of toiletries, non-perishables, and words of encouragement that you prepare for the homeless.  I couldn't get this idea out of my head - I went to bed thinking about what I could do to make sure every single homeless person in this area has access to a Blessing Bag.  There are so many homeless men and women in Bradenton.  I pass at least 2-3 everyday on my way to work.  Last week I served dinner at the Salvation Army and while I realize that not all of the men, women, and children (the children break my heart the most) that come to the Salvation Army are homeless, I saw quite a few familiar faces of those men that I see often enough to know that they are.  I wanted to go and talk to them, find out their story, and most of all, to let them know I care.  But, volunteers are not permitted to speak with those utilizing the services of the Salvation Army.  Yet, the images of people piling into the cafeteria for a meal, possibly their only meal for the day - stays with me...ignites me..makes me want to do more.  I couldn't help but thinking how fulfilling the life is of the Salvation Army Director who handles and prepares the food everyday because he is helping his community and providing food to the less fortunate.  He was so concerned about rationing the food and making sure that everyone received a piece of cake - he even gave out seconds.  I wonder if he knows what a hero I think he is? and how I wish I could be just like him...how I envy him?  Wouldn't it be great if you could go home every single day and know that you helped someone survive, you gave someone hope, you fed a family?? It would be so amazing!! This is what that feeling makes me yearn for - it's like a calling...a call for action...God letting me know that there is so much more I can be doing...and letting me know that the reward will be more than I can ever imagine.  That feeling....that feeling is back...and I cannot wait to see, feel, and experience all that it has planned for me.




P.S. The Blessing Bag concept -



(photo sources can be found through my pinterest)

2 comments:

  1. 40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

    Read Matthew 25:31-46
    It's all about how we treat people, even the least worthy, the neediest, the ones we don't even notice. Who are we not love them and care for them?

    35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

    I love your heart, M!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these scriptures and how they tie in with what I've been feeling! I need to read Matthew 25:31-46 - thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

    xoxo,
    M

    ReplyDelete